Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Food Policies for Kerry

This is my list of food policies that I try to practice. I call it my cheat sheet and review it often because these are the areas I most often fail in.

  1. Flip my calories and try to eat most of my calories early on in the day. I feel a lot better eating this way.
  2. Eat smaller meals and 2 snacks rather than grazing to keep my blood sugar more balanced. Remember that big meals spike blood sugar and I will be hungrier.
  3. Eat breakfast when I first get up to speed up my metabolism and I will eat less later on.
  4. Work on not eating after dinner. Use strategies from my list of other things to do besides eat, if I am struggling.
  5. Pay attention to whether I am emotionally or physically hungry and practice eating until I am satisfied and not stuffed.
  6. Don't deprive myself of the foods that I love but eat them in moderation with no guilt attached and be flexible.
  7. Use the half plate rules and make sure I prepare enough veggies and salads to fill our plates half full.
  8. Know proper portion sizes for the main foods that I eat and choose wisely most of the time.
  9. Use my restaurant/fast food guide for the restaurants I visit.
  10. Cut out most white stuff and processed foods and eat more whole grains. Ditch the empty calories most of the time because there is no place that they fit in on my meal plan.
  11. Be in touch with my feelings and do not eat when I am emotional but solve my problems rather than eating my way through them.
  12. Check out the markets for lower calorie foods that I love if I do not want to do without them. Safeway angel food cake and strawberries/cool whip is awesome and less than 150 calories!
  13. Get rid of thinking that there are forbidden foods. If I want it, I can have it but just a small piece. I can eat it again whenever I want.
  14. Try and walk daily for thirty minutes and do weights and the ball 3 times per week.
  15. Take calcium and Vit. D daily.
This is a simple list but it has a solution for most of the areas that I struggle in. It is kind of a changing list and if an area is under control, I will delete it. I would suggest that everyone develops their own food policy list similar to mine, that has their polices on it. It takes a lot of pressure off to know what your policies are, rather than having to make the same decisions and face the same struggles over and over. 
Check out the website! It has a few more pages every day! Kerry
 

No comments:

Post a Comment