Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bugs,Bugs,Bugs

If someone asked you, "Would you eat a bug?" What would you say? If you are like most of us, you would say "Of course not! Gross!"

Well, most of us consume bugs and way worse things on a daily basis as we consume processed food. I wanted to let you know just a few facts I garnered from the FDA website a couple of years ago. They may be a bit different now, but similar.

The FDA allows:
5 fly eggs per 500 gm of tomatoes
600 mites per 100 gm broccoli
400 insect fragments or 11 rodent hairs per gm of cinnamon
30 insect fragments or 1 rodent hair per 100 gm peanut butter
1 rodent pellet in one sample or 2 rodent hairs per pound of popcorn
6% rotten potatoes in potato chips
20% moldy fruit in canned pineapple

For everyones sake, I am leaving out the bug allowances for chocolate! These are just a few, but the FDA does have bug allowances for most processed foods and inspectors that try to test and make sure companies are following these "strict" rules. (Another story there!)

What can we do? Stop Eating? Not too practical! I would suggest that we eat real food rather than processed. Then you will know what it contains. It is simple to cut up a real pineapple and it tastes so much better than canned. Any ideas? Post in on FB because Blogspot does not allow you to post comments unless you have a Blogspot acct. So sorry! I am in the process of changing to a new place to blog. I will keep you updated!

I keep telling you guys that processed food is bad for you and I bet you never knew the whole story before!

No comments:

Post a Comment