Thursday, June 9, 2011

Stir-Fry Away!

Greetings everyone! In honor of half of the United States frying with heat, I thought I would write about stir-fries today. They are a healthy treat on hot days because they are light when veggie filled. I cook mine in a giant 16" stainless steel electric skillet which does not heat up my kitchen! I have never made a stir-fry the same so this will be a generic recipe that you can modify to your hearts content!

Generic Stir Fry


Choose meat of choice: Chicken, Beef, Pork, Vegan chicken choice or tofu, Bratwursts or your choice. Add the amount of meat you like. I use 1/2 pound to 1 pound for 3-4 people. Season meat with pepper, ginger or any spice you love. I like to add more spices than recipes call for. I would add 2 t. of ginger or grate fresh ginger in with your meat. Add 1/4 cup of garlic. I use the chopped jarred garlic because I am lazy. Add a small amount of sesame (best) or olive oil (2T) and stir fry the meat for a few minutes until it is done. Remove from pan.

Choose veggies: Great choices are onions, peppers, celery, cabbage, carrots, zucchini, summer squash, broccoli, broccoli slaw, really any veggie you love will do! I was teaching my son last week and he chose them all! Wild and great! Chop all veggies separately into bite size pieces. Your choice of chop. My son chopped large and it was awesome. I always stir fry each veggie separately and then remove. I add the veggie and a small amount of water (1/4 to 1/2 cup) to avoid calories and stir fry it around until it is still very crispy, then remove to a bowl. Next, next, next, till you are done with all of your veggie choices. This takes a bit longer but I hate mushy veggies and none cook exactly the same!

Add Sauce and Herbs: When it is all done, add everything back in and mix. Add either a predone sauce (Yoshidas) or add a bit of low salt soy sauce and water. I actually just love the taste of the veggies with no sauce. Add in chopped herbs at this point. Love chopped cilantro in everything. Basil works too. Try them all and pick your favorite! Mix it up and heat through.

You can serve this over any whole cooked whole grain, brown rice, whole wheat noodles, or eat it plain. Some times we add a small amount of Yakisoba noodles to our actual stir fry.

Stir fries are very filling great dude food. You can cook huge quantities so it is a great choice for those of you who love to eat large quantities. Fry away in these frying days of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment