Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Transparency

Hey Everyone,
Transparency is something that has been on my mind for the last few weeks. I am a leader with a Young Life Capernaum group of young adults. Capernaum works with students and young adults that are differently-abled. Many of them have become some of my very best friends. What I love about them is their insight and that they do not make life complicated, as I often do. It is so refreshing to me! I love their transparency! When they are struggling at work, they'll call and say "Hey, I am struggling at work and yelled at my boss today." When they are worried about their family Christmas party, they might say, "I am so nervous about the drama that revolves around Christmas at my house when the family gets together!" I love this transparency!

Most of us would admit that we are not transparent. The last thing we want to admit is our struggles. I have seen from my friends that facing your struggles and asking for help is not a bad way to live. When problems and struggles come during the holiday season, try reaching out to one of your friends or family and talking it out rather than reaching for food. Food is a temporary way to sooth your hurts and does not work long term. We all know this, yet we still try to eat to satisfy our emotions with food.

Join me during the holidays in practicing transparency with your friends and family. I have seen that most of my problems are not as big as I have made them in mind, when I share them with others. Sometimes a hug from a friend feels a whole lot better than eating lots of tortilla chips (my ultimate love/hate food). No guilt and shame but love and acceptance!

Blessings for the Holiday Season!

Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment